So, here is a picture of some yummy coffee cake that I made from a recipe from Vegan With a Vengeance. It would have been much better if my daughter Abbey had told me we were almost out of frozen blueberries. I only had about a cup and a quarter, but the recipe calls for two full cups. When blueberries are involved, I usually add in another half cup because I love them so much, but I really screwed the pooch with this one. I ended up having to use about a quarter cup of frozen raspberries to try and make up for it but it just wasn’t the same. Next time I will do what I am supposed to do before making a recipe and CHECK THE INGREDIENTS LIST. You may call me idiot if you wish. It was still yummy, jerk. Anywhose….
If you are unfortunate enough to be my friend on Myspace, then you know how I love to fill out surveys. Even though I’m supposed to be using it as a semi-professional place for people to contact me for cupcakes (no one has yet, I get orders through friends), I still post stupid surveys with stuff like “what are you wearing right now?” and “who was your last kiss?” I know, I’m lame and Myspace does NOT qualify as having a life.
Imagine how thrilled I was at finding a cool vegan survey! I pulled it from “Food Snobbery is My Hobbery” which was taken from the PPK site first. Vegan MoFo simply means Vegan Month of Food and it was intended for November of last year. I’m only eight months late, right? Whatever, here are my answers!
1. Favorite non-dairy milk? I’m not gonna lie, I love Silk Low Fat Chocolate. And i dislike Trader Joe’s brand of chocolate soymilk. It’s gross.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook? I reaaaaally wanna make the chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon, then try my hand at some sort of cheese sauce to make for an alfredo dish, then perhaps something more Indian, since I have a pound of curry laying about my house.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn? I’m not the worlds biggest fan of popcorn, so I don’t eat it, but I hear that people looove nutritional yeast with garlic and cracked black pepper.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? I can honestly say that nothing has been truly disastrous but there have been things I absolutely did NOT like versus things i loved. The most recent is that chocolate maple nastiness i posted about in my last blog. *shudders*
5. Favorite pickled item? Umm…I like dill pickle flavored chips from Lays, does that count?
6. How do you organize your recipes? They are all in recipe books that I got from Amazon. Yay me! I also have a huge database of bakery-type things on my laptop that I am trying to convert from non-vegan to vegan.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? I recycle the crap outta my garbage, like were talking every plastic wrapper and scrap of cardboard. Everything else goes into the trash. Compost gives me the heebs. Sorry.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)? Tempeh, ice cream (vegan of course), and wheat thins with hummus. oh that’s four isn’t it? Oh well.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? Hanging outside the VFW with a coke and a butterfinger so my dad could get his drink on. I thought I was the luckiest kid on earth. Nowadays, they call that child neglect. Oops!
10. Favorite vegan ice cream? I make my own super chocolate vegan gelato and i make it all the damn time.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance? my muffin tins from wilton with the lip on either side for my potholders.
12. Spice/herb you would die without? garlic. i absolutely love it! curry is fo sho number two, though. I actually don’t think garlic is a spice or an herb, but an aromatic. You’ll live, right?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time? I bought them all at the same time like 12 years ago- The Vegan Gourmet, The Compassionate Cook, and Linda McCartney on Tour. They were all on sale at Barnes and Noble.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? Apricot, mmmm….
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend? The All-American Pot Pie recipe from Veganomicon. Holy hell, is it good!
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? I love tempeh more than my own children. Did i say that out loud?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)? Lunch, because then we have leftovers for dinner.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? My cupcake toppers, a bunch of booze that hasn’t been touched since ’83, a lot of dust, and all the remotes to the various appliances that my two year old should not be touching.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. Tempeh, sweet potato fries, So Delicious mint ice cream sandwiches. There’s a lot more. Wanna hear it all?
20. What’s on your grocery list? Vital wheat gluten, tofu sour cream, non-hydrogenated shortening,hemp milk, almond milk, you know, the usual.
21. Favorite grocery store? Trader Joe’s.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet. Hmm, good question. I don’t usually bother with this since I have so many cookbooks with awesome recipes to choose from, including my latest thing, Julie Hasson’s website, Everyday Dish. I’m going to make the whoopie pies from My Sweet Vegan’s Hannah Kaminsky.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3? Oh yes, Isa’s blog is definitely number one, then it’s Bake and Destroy! and Bakerella and Cakespy. Wherever I’m going to get the most recipes, honestly. I love trying new recipes. And also, whoever has the most interesting pictures or the most sass to offer. I don’t like reading about foo foo cupcakes and sugar paste flower nonsense. Call me lowbrow or whatever, but at least I’m real. I need to see that other people aren’t perfect in their cooking/caking either.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? I haven’t really tried any vegan candy. I have some twizzlers bites laying round, but I don’t really know where to get the good stuff. you know, real live vegan candy. I feel like I I might as well learn how to make it myself or pay an assload of shipping for like one ounce of candy.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? Coconut oil for like $16!!!!! Ridiculous! Oh, and I bought a bunch of overpriced So Delicious ice cream because let’s be frank, that time of the month is just a free pass for me to eat what I want. Shove it.
26. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it). So, who was the last person you made out with? My husband. Oh and my two year old tried giving me the tongue, does that count?
Below is a blank list of the questions for you to copy and paste and answer on your blog. Post a comment so I know to read yours!
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
5. Favorite pickled item?
6. How do you organize your recipes?
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
20. What’s on your grocery list?
21. Favorite grocery store?
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
26. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it).